Internal Medicine - CBD
Welcome to the Internal Medicine Competence by Design page.
I want to first thank you for your support this past year with the Internal Medicine pilot. The Internal Medicine program will continue its field testing of Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) as we prepare for Competence by Design (CBD) launch in July 2019.
Phase 2 of the pilot starts on July 4th, 2018 and we will be rolling out 5 new Entrustable Professional Activity (EPAs) forms throughout the year. We expect weekly EPA forms to be completed for every PGY1, PGY2 and PGY3 resident
Finally, we now have Academic Advisors recruited to longitudinally coach the PGY1s and PGY2s and a Competence Committee to provide promotional decisions and oversee the CBD process.
Internal Medicine Program Director
What is CBD?
Competence by Design (CBD) is a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) initiative to transition postgraduate medical education and professional practice in Canada into a model of competency-based medical education.
What does that mean to you? There is a shift towards a coaching model of training in lieu of the current performance model. In the coaching model residents will be required to complete formative assessments called Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs). EPAs are tasks of the discipline that can be delegated to a resident and observed by a supervisor. These are low-stakes assessments. You will learn more on EPAs in the Assessment Section. Here is a link to a CBD Terminology Page for more information
Residency will continue being 3 years. The final stage will be part of the first year of subspecialty training. It will be split into 4 stages:
- Transition to Discipline (TTD) 4 Blocks in PGY 1
- Foundations of Discipline (FOD) 9 Blocks in PGY 1
- Core of Discipline (COD) 2 years PGY 2-PGY3
- Transition to Practice (TTP) 1 year PGY 4 (first year of subspecialty year)
The Royal College Exam will take place after the Core stage at the end of PGY3.
Transition to Discipline Primers (PGY1 Blocks 1-4):
- IM TTD1 - EPA Primer - HX Px Documentation.pdf (218.99 KB)
- IM TTD2 - EPA Primer - Intro Assess Unstable Pts.pdf (220.04 KB)
- TTD3 - EPA Primer - Intro Procedural Skills.pdf (221.14 KB)
Foundation of Discipline (forthcoming)
Core of Discipline (PGY2 & 3)
Academic Advisor Orientation Video Part 1 - CBD Primer
Academic Advisor Orientation Video Part 2 - Role of an Academic Advisor
Coaching and Mentorship
As of July 4, 2018, we are entering phase 2 of CBD pilot for IM. Participation is mandatory for all PGY1-3 residents. In this section, you will find information on CBD including instructional and user guides, Academic Advisor meeting schedule (PGY 1 & PGY2 only). You can find Primers for Assessor for each EPA under the Assessment section. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact email@example.com.
- Academic Advisors - Roles & PGY1 Meeting Schedule (42.08 KB)
- IM Resident Primer - Transition to Discipline (331.73 KB)
- Academic Advisors - Roles & PGY2 Meeting Schedule (41.78 KB)
- IM Resident Primer - Core of Discipline (239.02 KB)
- Curriculum Plan for PGY2 and PGY3 (269.46 KB)